Homeschool Resources and Requirements
Dec 09, 2014 04:54PM
- Compulsory Attendance Ages: “between the ages of 6” by Dec. 2 “and under 18 years of age.”
- Required Days of Instruction: 175 days
- (only for public schools).
- Required Subjects: English and must “offer instruction in the several branches of study required to be taught in the public schools.” Grades 1-6: English, mathematics, social sciences, science, fine arts, health, physical education.
- Teacher Qualifications: None, if home school registers as a private school or enrolls in a private school satellite program. Certification is necessary only if the home school parent chooses to qualify
- as a private tutor.
- Standardized Tests: Not required by statute.
UPDATE ON DRIVER’S ED?
Until very recently, parents in California who were homeschooling were generally not authorized to provide driver education to their student/children. The requirement from the DMV was to have their child complete a driver education and training course through a public or private school or commercial driving program. The DMV has stopped rejecting forms from homeschooling families and has revised its forms to specifically ask when the form is being submitted by a Public Secondary School, a Private Secondary School, or a Home School or Private School Satellite Program. Find information and forms on the DMV website.
Homeschool Association of California’s (HSC) 2011 Conference,
August 4-7, Radisson Hotel in Sacramento, CA
Private & Home Educators of California (PHEOFCA)
Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA)
(540) 338-5600. www.hslda.org
Sonoma County Homeschoolers Association (SCHA)
Christian Home Educators of Rohnert Park (CHERP)
Santa Rosa Community Homeschoolers (SRCH)
490-4056. [email protected]
Tri Counties Home Education Network
California Homeschool Network (CHN)
(800) 327-5339 www.californiahomeschool.net
Homeschool Association of California
(888) 472-4440. www.hsc.org
Christian Home Educators Association
(562) 864-2432. www.cheaofca.org
American Homeschool Association
Home Education Magazine
(800) 236-3278. www.homeedmag.com