Treats without the Heat
May 29, 2016 12:00AM
By Don Orwell
When summer days heat up, the last thing you want to do is turn on the oven to cook. It’s easy enough to whip up a salad, but, other than Jell-O and ice cream, what are your options for desserts that don’t require baking? Here are a couple of ideas from the Healthy Kids Cookbook by Don Orwell. For more of Orwell’s recipes, see superfoodstoday.com.
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground vanilla bean
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- splash of water (optional)
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- Add walnuts and salt to a food processor or blender. Mix until finely ground.
- Add the vanilla, dates, and cocoa powder to the blender. Mix well and, optionally, add a couple drops of water at a time to make the mixture stick together.
- Transfer the mixture into a 9”x 13” pan and top with almond butter.
Raw Vegan Chocolate Walnut Truffles
- 1 cup ground walnuts
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- additional cinnamon for coating
- coconut flakes
- chopped almonds
- Mix first six ingredients and make 1-inch balls.
- Coat with cinnamon, coconut flakes, or chopped almonds.
Don Orwell is the author of several books on superfoods.