Grab-and-Go Passover Breakfast
By PJ Library
Looking for a grab-and-go breakfast to enjoy during Passover? These easy, make-ahead treats are healthy and packed with protein to keep you full and energized. They make a great after-school snack, too!
Charoset Breakfast Balls
3 ounces dried apple slices
1 ½ cups hot water
½ cup pitted dates
½ cup walnuts
½ cup matzo meal, divided
½ teaspoon of cinnamon
¼ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
• In a medium bowl, soak the dried apples in the hot water until they are softened and reconstituted. Drain the apples, but reserve the liquid.
• In a food processor, pulse together the drained apples, dates, walnuts, half of the matzo meal, and cinnamon until it comes together.
• Add the reserved apple liquid, one tablespoon at a time, to help bind the ingredients. You should only need one to two tablespoons of liquid to do so.
• Use a spoon to scoop about one tablespoon of the mixture into your palm. Roll it into a ball.
• Repeat this step with the rest of your fruit and nut mixture.
• In a small bowl, combine the rest of the matzo meal with the shredded coconut.
• Roll each ball in the coconut and matzo meal mixture to coat.
• Place your finished treats onto a cookie sheet and chill in the refrigerator for one hour before serving.
Printed with permission of PJ Library, pjlibrary.org.
PJ Library is a nonprofit that sends more than 240,000 free books out to kids across North America each month. Check out their Passover hub (pjlibrary.org/Passover), a family-friendly Haggadah (amazom.com/pjlibrary), and new podcast episodes (pjlibrary.org/podcast). Go to tinyurl.com/44drpz5r for the “Matzah Mania with PJ Library” printable recipe foldout.